Skip to main content

AND BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED....

This movie was cool. Nothing to do with this blog tho..




As I type this out I am listening to Vince Guaraldi's jazz soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas".     As we come to the holidays and the close of another year I have been reflecting a lot lately on life and my family, most of which has passed away. Instead of sadness I am definitely on the side of the warm and fuzzies tonight. I'm where I'm supposed to be at this exact moment in time. A place where people love me and appreciate my friendship. I'm glad that the people I choose to surround myself with in life don't care about the commercialized, pissing contest that the holidays can be to some. Although I am not fully pleased with my station in life, it's all about the journey and at least I know I'm not alone on this road. A wise man once said “it's not where ya from it's where you're in the mentals”. Or to put it another way: I will “fake it `til I make it” which has become my motto of late. In this spirit I'd like to share my favorite holiday memory of all time: The Sears Wishbook!


Not the idea of famous Sears catalog of gifts or the idea of getting any of them at all. But something else a little more innocent and special from my childhood. Growing up in a semi-serious Jewish family as a child meant Chanukah was our primary concern. But my parents being less conservative than most knew we didn't have many friends of Hebraic (editors note: Keefbonics) descent so they incorporated some Christmas spirit into out lives with stockings, a small tree (my dad called it a burning bush of fiyah) and gifts. Even though times were tough and means were meager we always got a few gifts for Chanukah and some kind of small gift for Christmas so we wouldn't feel “left out” We also got chocolate bunnies at Easter even though it often conflicted with Passover. There isn't a deep meaning to this part except that I think it was cool my parents were concerned with our feelings and tried to spread the love around to multiple holidays so we would feel less weird.


We had this electric Menorah growing up.
One year for no good reason it burst into flames. 
My second favorite holiday memory is really a collection of memories. Since most of my friends celebrated Christmas, Christmas day for little Keefy meant getting to play with his friends toys when he didn't have anything especially awesome to share (like underwear or homemade mittens and hats with pom-poms on the top like South Park). My best friends from childhood are still my best friends today thirty plus years later so Jesse, Danny, Anita and Damien and your families- thank you for always including me in your festivities and making me feel welcomed and loved. It still means a lot to me to this day that your good fortune was also made to feel like mine. No one ever flaunted what they had- it was always “look at this cool thing we can both play with!”. I was a lucky kid then and a lucky grown up dude now.
Anita, Me, Jesse and Danny at Jesse's wedding in 2005.

Sears started putting out a holiday catalog back in 1933 and it made an indelible mark on popular culture and my life too. I recall the mailman knocking on our door to hand deliver the book because at 700-800 pages it wasn't fitting in our tiny mailbox. Every member of my house was vying to see it first. My father like to look at tools. My oldest brother liked to look at instruments and stereos. My middle brother just like to thumb through and look at the colorful pictures. My mother liked to look at clothes for the kids. Like most children, I liked the toys and games. Especially the original 11 Inch G.I. Joes, Lionel Trains and Star Wars toys once the movie came out and got big.




What made The Wishbook special besides the excitement when it came to our house was a ritual my mother and i would do together. The book already would be in the house about a week and mom would get out the book and have me sit in her lap. We would go through about 200 pages of the book- towards the back where the toys were a page at a time. Together we read every single description of toys or games that I was remotely interested in. The last line of many of them was “and batteries not included.” which we would say in unison, every time. Do this about 200 times and you are laughing hysterically. At least we were. It wasn't about the gifts because often she would say “I don't think that toy is right for you” if it cost too much or was inappropriate (“you'll shoot your eye out!”). I knew I was only gonna get one or two presents as it was and likely not from Sears when Corners Department Store was down the block from my apartment in the projects. But my mom made it a point to do this with me every year from about ages 3 to 8 every year and it made me really happy that she did. It was a blast.

Whether you remember The Wishbook and have your own special holiday memories or not – check out this cool website someone put up with entire catalogs (Sears and other stores) from the past here http://www.wishbookweb.com/ .  

Happy Holidays!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Kinda Patton

Charmed I'm sure...... Patton Oswalt is one of my favorite comedians and one of the smartest, funny people alive. His point blank sarcasm colors his observational humor in a twisted way which confounds some, but makes perfect sense to me. I have long been a fan and while his star is rising of late, it seems like he is only just now getting widely recognized as one of the better, more important humans among us. Most people know Patton from his stand up specials, from his role as Spence on The King of Queens on CBS and the Pixar animated movie Ratatouille . You may have also seen him on VH1's Best Week Ever (he was fired for making fun of Paris Hilton), Zoolander, Blade: Trinity , Reno 911 , The Comedians of Comedy tour, Blood Into Wine , Lewis Black's Root of All Evil show and some of Comedy Central's Roast of ... episodes. Patton has had a big impact on me through his stand up and through his brilliant albums Feeling Kinda Patton (United Musicians) Werewolves

DECEMBER 8TH WILL BE ROUGH, THE REST OF MY LIFE.....

As today draws to a close I am deep in reflection. Actually I have been since before midnight yesterday. December 8 th is date burned into the minds of many of my friends today. Just as December 7th- “the day that lives in infamy” (Pearl Harbor Day) did for my parents and their peers. It's a strange convergence that has been pointed out by many to be true. If you have already guessed at the topic of the tale, that's fine. The stories have been told and retold a lot today. I have my own spin on how these events affected me personally. "Nobody told me there'd be days like these..." Thirty years ago while coming home from the studio John Lennon was shot to death outside of his home in his adopted home of New York City. John once joked that THE BEATLES were “bigger than God” and his death sort of proved him right, sadly enough. You can argue all day and night if either he or Paul were more talented (I always preferred quiet ol' George Harrison mysel

OCTOBER MEANS HALLOWEEN

Next to Thanksgiving, Halloween has always been my favorite time of the year. I celebrate the entire month long in some form or another. Decorating the house, watching horror movies, costume parties, various parades, haunted houses and of course candy too. Halloween in the hood was a bit of a mixed bag for a me growing up as a kid. My family always decorated the house. My mom made individual candy bags to give out. For a costume I often wore a homemade get up, like being a clown or a cat. One year I got a “fancy” Spider-Man costume from Woolworth's . Oh those suffocating plastic masks with strangulating rubber bands and costumes made of sweaty plastic. My costume was torture, but I was so happy. Growing up in the “ Summer of Sam ” my dad had to take us around for candy. Older kids would go “bag snatching” “egg bombing” or other forms of mischief to terrorize little ones. Halloween also means horror films! I grew up on the classic Universal Monster movies , from there it was