Skip to main content

FEAR AND LOATHING AT ROCK AND SHOCK


Once again I found myself in good old Worcester, MA for the Rock and Shock Festival. Held every October this combination rock/metal show and horror convention is one of the most fun times you can have. I certainly was in all of my glory with the combination of two things I love dearly.


I was really only interested in the Friday night lineup of bands and I saw a bunch of great ones. From THE OCEAN, EARTH CRISIS, OTEP, THE DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT, CAVALERA CONSPIRACY and the headliner MUSHROOMHEAD; everyone put on a good show. I especially loved seeing Otep Shamaya, Devin Townsend and Max Cavalera; three of my musical and lyrical heroes back to back to back on the same stage. Mind blowing! As I said I had no interest in the other musical acts although a funny thing happened to me the next night when I bumped into some ICP fans. You can read about the loathing part here. You can read about the loathing part here.

Max Cavalera leads the way!

I spent the rest of my time at the convention hall checking out all of the celebrities, vendors and fans. Rock and Shock is a great even for people watching and meeting new and old friends alike. Even though there were some last minute cancellations by some notable folks (I'm bummed The Walking Dead folks never made it) people like Robert Englund, William Forsythe, Ace Frehley, Lance Hendricksen, Camille Keaton, Gary and Jake Busey and many more were big draws and many more made it all worth it.

Gary Busey plays drums with MUSHROOMHEAD.

Besides all the cool vendors and scores of people in costumes and cosplay outfits Rock And Shock is a place where the industry gathers. I got to talk to many folks like two of the editors of Fangoria at length about horror films and take part in their panel discussion. The fest also shows horror films, including some premieres. On Saturday night I attended the screening of Robert Englund's new film INKUBUS (review to follow) co-staring William Forsythe, Jonathan Silverman and Joey Fatone! It was really cool to see the cast up close at the screening and take part in a few Q and A's. There are already planning a sequel. Sunday at the festival saw the debut of IWRESTLEDABEARONCE's horror film A BEARY SCARY MOVIE (review to follow). The flick was excellent and the band hung out with everyone and generally were awesome.

Pretty Tied Up.

Vendors ranged from legendary (TROMA) to local.

Larry from Three's Company as a Zombie?

Obama's approval rating would improve as a zombie.

Many Q&A panel's were held. like this one for the Freddy movies


Jake Busey and IWABO hang after their screening. 

Lance Henriksen

Mother and child?


I'll definitely be back next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling Kinda Patton

Charmed I'm sure...... Patton Oswalt is one of my favorite comedians and one of the smartest, funny people alive. His point blank sarcasm colors his observational humor in a twisted way which confounds some, but makes perfect sense to me. I have long been a fan and while his star is rising of late, it seems like he is only just now getting widely recognized as one of the better, more important humans among us. Most people know Patton from his stand up specials, from his role as Spence on The King of Queens on CBS and the Pixar animated movie Ratatouille . You may have also seen him on VH1's Best Week Ever (he was fired for making fun of Paris Hilton), Zoolander, Blade: Trinity , Reno 911 , The Comedians of Comedy tour, Blood Into Wine , Lewis Black's Root of All Evil show and some of Comedy Central's Roast of ... episodes. Patton has had a big impact on me through his stand up and through his brilliant albums Feeling Kinda Patton (United Musicians) Werewolves

OCTOBER MEANS HALLOWEEN

Next to Thanksgiving, Halloween has always been my favorite time of the year. I celebrate the entire month long in some form or another. Decorating the house, watching horror movies, costume parties, various parades, haunted houses and of course candy too. Halloween in the hood was a bit of a mixed bag for a me growing up as a kid. My family always decorated the house. My mom made individual candy bags to give out. For a costume I often wore a homemade get up, like being a clown or a cat. One year I got a “fancy” Spider-Man costume from Woolworth's . Oh those suffocating plastic masks with strangulating rubber bands and costumes made of sweaty plastic. My costume was torture, but I was so happy. Growing up in the “ Summer of Sam ” my dad had to take us around for candy. Older kids would go “bag snatching” “egg bombing” or other forms of mischief to terrorize little ones. Halloween also means horror films! I grew up on the classic Universal Monster movies , from there it was

Don't Shoot What It Looks Like....

Image courtesy of: SnapKnot - Los Angeles wedding photographers